Survey, Monitoring & Scientific Diving
Who Are We?
TC Environmental Limited (TCE) is a professional marine consultancy providing research, monitoring and survey services. The team behind TCE are passionate about New Zealand and its environment, and relish the opportunity to collaborate with others to enhance this. TCE have a wide range of experience and offer a multidisciplinary understanding of aquatic science. Specialists in scientific diving and technical fieldwork, TCE operate at a high level of competency with primary focus given to ensuring workplace safety standards are adhered to.
Their scope extends from small, field-based data collection contracts, to full project management services. Building strong relationships has been a key to TCE’s success, having established a proven track record with several organisations.
Their portfolio involves a diverse range of projects in both freshwater and marine environments throughout New Zealand.
(MSc – 1st Class Hons)
Courtney’s passion for the marine environment led her to complete a Bachelor of Applied Science with Auckland University of Technology and a Masters in Science with the University of Waikato. As part of her research Courtney utilised molecular techniques to investigate invasive marine species. After completing study, Courtney was awarded an Our World Underwater Scholarship allowing her to travel the world working on a diverse range of marine projects. In conjunction with TC Environmental scientific projects in New Zealand, Courtney continues to work in marine education and guiding in some of the most remote places of the world with Heritage Expeditions. Recreationally, Courtney can be found outdoors – hiking, playing sports and capturing New Zealand’s marine life.
Thomas completed a Bachelor of Applied Science with Auckland University of Technology focussing on marine, freshwater and terrestrial sciences. He has since worked as an aquarist and technical advisor with the Department of Conservation Taupo Trout Fishery team before establishing TC Environmental Limited with Courtney in 2017. Thomas is an ADAS accredited SCUBA diver and MNZ commercial skipper. Away from work, Thomas is an avid hunter and fisherman, either spending time on his kayak or out exploring New Zealand’s wilderness.
Marine, estuarine & freshwater
What We Do
Intertidal and subtidal survey and monitoring
Environmental Impact Assessments
Scientific diving – research, survey and monitoring
Marine Reserve monitoring
Vessel & skipper hire
Marine and freshwater biosecurity
What We’ve Done
- Marine reserve monitoring (Horoirangi, Tonga Island, Kokomohua, Fiordland)
- Ferry impact monitoring
- Significant marine site survey and monitoring programme, Marlborough Sounds
- Biological surveying and reporting of marine farm consents
- Contaminated marine site monitoring
- Baseline surveys for proposed marine activities – aquaculture, marina facilities
- Literature reviews
- Environmental impact assessments
- Aquatic macrophyte monitoring
- Freshwater mussel relocations
- Broadscale estuarine habitat mapping & GIS
- Pest species management – Taupo catfish, Fiordland Asian Seaweed,
- Top Of The South marine biosecurity monitoring
- Estuarine ecological monitoring
- Trout management – drift-dive surveys, juvenile tagging programme, creel surveys, electric fishing, smelt monitoring
- Marine guiding and lecturing through Melanesia & Russia
- Outfall monitoring